New registration. Lost deeds.

  • 1
  • Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Answered


My 98 year old aunt was recently admitted to a care home due to suffering from dementia. I am at the moment waiting to be awarded power of attorney through the court of protection. Around five years ago she had a burglary and we think her house deeds were stored with other valuables that were stolen. After only just finding out that her house isn’t registered with the land registry I am trying to reconstruct them. Due to the fact that we might have to sell the house to pay for care home fees.

Anyway, I am filling all the forms in on her behalf. Does this mean that both of us have to provide evidence of identity? That will be fine with me but my aunt can’t travel from the home and she doesn’t have anything like a passport or driving licence. Just her birth certificate, household bills etc. 

Photo of Jane Robinson

Jane Robinson

  • 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 months ago

  • 1
Photo of Adam H

Adam H, Official Rep

  • 28958 Posts
  • 1767 Reply Likes
Jane - both of you should have your identity verified. If you feel that is not possible and you are her attorney then I'd suggest completing our online contact form to provide specific details re names, circumstances and possible alternatives re your Aunt's identity verification. A senior officer can consider the details and advise next steps.