Transfer of Equity

  • Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Hi. I would like to add my name to deeds as an owner and remove current names of my mother (who currently lives at the property) and brother (who has moved out). There is no mortgage left on the property. I would like to keep the costs to minimum and I'm not sure I need a solicitor. Can I do this myself direct with Land registry?
I have read I might need to fill the Transfer of Equity forms. I get stuck when it asks for an ID check as solicitors refuse to just do this task. Please can you advise?
Photo of Max terMT

Max ter

  • 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

  • 1
Photo of Adam H

Adam H, Official Rep

  • 6539 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
Hi Max ter - we have an online FAQ re Transferring ownership which you may have already read. This sets out the forms required, inc ID.

Providing the property is registered then there is no reason why you cannot complete the forms and submit the application. There are guidance notes available to help with completion of the forms

Whilst some solicitors may refuse to verify the ID in my experience this is unusual. It is a service which many offer and you may simply need to contact several before finding one who will assist.